View Single Post
Old 2015-09-11, 10:48am
Lampworkaholic!

Interesting to see this thread pop up again after more than 4 years.

I've been thinking a lot about pricing lately. I've always been in the camp of "pricing is a personal decision."

But lately I am noticing that "artists" are selling perfectly nice bead pairs and sets at prices like 12 beads for $8.

In the meantime, I've tried to raise my prices because for every bead I have to dip a mandrel and clean the bead, string it, photograph it, send an invoice if it sells, ship it, etc.

While I don't think a beadmaker has an obigation to the lampwork community as a whole to price their beads any other way than they way they want to, I can understand why the public would choose the lower priced beads.

So I struggle with myself. Do I lower my prices, because some return is better than having a lot of inventory? Or do I stand my ground on principle and donate all my excess inventory to Beads of Courage.

I'm lucky that I don't depend on bead sales to pay the mortgage or buy food. But I do need to sell beads to justify buying more glass and supplies.

Plus as Alexis said, it makes me happy when people like my beads and buy them. It's all about validation for me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox