View Single Post
Old 2007-01-22, 11:51am
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalera View Post
Dennis, for beadmakers even the most expensive retail price for glass is a negligible contributor to the materials cost. It's a completely different economy from stained glass. The least expensive glass is going to contribute less than a penny to the materials cost of a smallish bead, while the most expensive glass (which is handmixed by small vendors and not available wholesale) is going to contribute about forty cents. That may sound like a huge difference, but it certainly doesn't come close to accounting for the bulk of your investment. The bulk of your investment is your time spent making that bead. Because of that, you must either make exceptional beads that can command a premium, or you must make good beads quickly. As a beadmaker, whether you buy wholesale vs. retail, or cheap vs. premium, is not going to make or break you, and in fact, overbuying and tying up too much of your profit in raw materials in order to get the lowest price could have a big negative effect on your bottom line. It's not making you any money sitting on the shelf. My advice to beadmakers wanting to treat their craft as a business is to avoid glass hoarding at all costs... buy it, use it, sell the beads. If a premium-priced color will help you make more beautiful, salable beads in less time, buy it, and then USE IT. And then, with any color you buy, make enough beads for it to pay for itself as soon as it arrives.
Very good points here. When I shop, I like to buy enough to qualify for the discount column pricing, and she is SO right, because hoarding glass is not doing a thing for you but collecting dust. Also, when there is that tool that you really need and it's not in your budget, you have all that glass you should have resisted buying to remind you just how tight that budget is.

For some time now, I only buy glass I'm going to use, and does it get used up quick! I just buy $100-$200 at a time, mostly regular colors, and a few rods of the handpulled which I use for surface decorating most of the time. It's getting to be a PITA to keep putting out a new order every month, so as soon as I can, I'm ordering at least $500 in one shot.