View Single Post
Old 2015-11-12, 10:54am

Default Setup Questions - Switch from NG to Propane

This is a cross-post. (Guess I'm impatient. Not getting any responses over in the other thread).

Hi. I've been torching for 10+ years on NG. I recently purchased a (hard to find) copy of Torchworked Marbles by Drew Fritts. On page 39 he has a chart showing the different heat output for different gases. Here's a quote (edited to only include the gases that I'm concerned with).

It's so interesting to me that the actual flame temperature is relative close between the 2 gases, but throw in the primary/secondary flame feature and it's a whole new ballgame!

I've got a GTT Scorpion and 2 Regalia's and currently run on NG. This setup is plenty of power for soft glass, but this chart has me wondering if I should at least TRY Propane and see if I'm able to pull colors out of boro.

If I do go that route, would this kit http://www.ebay.com/itm/Devardi-Glas...item338fa24076 (plus a BBQ tank) be a safe setup? I wouldn't need the oxygen Regulator or the Flashback Arrestor for the oxygen side though.

Also, my Scorpion came with the 4 studs already tied together. I'd like to leave it that way, but is it safe to start running propane through hoses that have run NG for probably 5+ years?

Lastly, economically speaking, would it be worth quick connects on the gas lines (propane vs NG)? I don't need the power of Propane for soft glass. Is it worth switching back and forth? Does it hurt the hoses attached to the torch to switch back and forth?

Any better suggestions as to where to purchase what I'd need to get this set up?

Thank you for any and all input!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Scorpion with 2 Regalia's on NG