View Single Post
Old 2006-08-08, 9:30am
Hopeless glass addict!

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenfire
Do not allow cats in the studio at any time. Singed hair, beads make perfect "I'm Bored" playthings, and they will drink the water you are cleaning the bead release with!

Jen
Soooooo true! Mine drink the water I use to cool my tools...just full of cracked glass! Not good for kitty tummies! So now I make sure that jar is covered before I leave my bench!

I have "innoculated" myself countless times with needle-sharp ends on stringer. The last time I had a rod in one hand...a mandrel in the other...and a stringer impaled just below my fingernail on my right hand! What to do!? THAT was the LAST time! I'm making a conscious effort to round ALL rods & stringer in the flame before setting it down! (I know it's been said before...but it bears repeating!)

Also...don't try a big honking encased bead before you know what the hell you're doing. The result is so ugly it will scare a gorilla! Cracks...devit...oh! the humanity!!!!

Also...keep a small hunk of blue ice within reach while at the torch. Put burned part on it instantly! The burn will be there...even a 3rd degree burn with a blister...but the pain will be sooooo much less. And by that, I mean the overall pain of the burn as it heals. I was amazed! I had my ice there for placing under my marvers to cool them for Raku. Now I keep a small one around just in case I have a careless moment.

When reaching over a rod warmer to turn it off...do not touch it with your wrist! I sizzled mine in a hard to bandage area! It got infected really bad and bled a lot until hubby doctored me up! Whew!

Edited to add: ALWAYS wear an apron of heavy material while at the torch! It will save many precious pieces of your anatomy! Leather is great...but I use heavy canvas with great success! If using boro...leather is the wiser choice!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~Mendy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Happiness is roasting glass with your best friend!

Last edited by raindance; 2006-08-08 at 9:38am.