View Single Post
Old 2015-05-04, 10:41pm
Phill

I think the 200 cf tanks are shoulder high but I could be mistaken.

The cost of getting tanks delivered in your area is so you can figure out if it would be less expensive to just get tanks delivered and not have to be concerned with getting the homefill unit overhauled every 3000 hours of use (There is another on of those 'I thinks')

The Invacare oxycons have a separate connector on the back on the bottom that hooks to the homefill unit that puts out a slightly higher pressure so it can refill a tank at the same time as it supplies oxygen to the patient ( or torch ). I have no idea if that duel use would slow the tank refilling to any significant amount.

Getting your hands on a tank can be problematic because most of the welding gas companies rent the tanks at an annual rate and if you do buy one make sure it comes with paper work that proves ownership. Taking an empty tank in to trade it out for a full one might get it confiscated if you can not prove it belongs to you.

I picked up a knee high tank that I think they call a "forty" and I have been told that those and "twentys" usually don't raise a fuss if you don't happen to have proof of ownership.

Something I have learned from watching youtube welding videos is that oxygen tanks have valves that you want to open all the way or close all the way. It seems the valves leak around the valve stem unless that are all the way one way or the other so you could lose a whole tank over night if you just shut off the regulator.

Shop around for the Whips too. I have seen them being sold for outrageous amounts. I think I have some reasonable sources hidden in this computer somewhere but it has been a while since I bought mine and will take me a while to relocate if you need it.

Excellent picture! Thanks for that.

Last edited by Speedslug; 2015-05-05 at 2:48am.