View Single Post
Old 2010-06-18, 11:17am

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass obsessed View Post
I understand why I pay more for the BE swirl sheets if I am fusing or doing stained glass but for lampworking ??? Since BE sheet glass is cheaper when one buys solid colors, especially the thinner half sheets, versus buying the beautiful swirling glass, would it be wiser to just buy thinner half sheets of BE and use small cut up squares of different solid color combos? Or does BE's swirly glass produce a better coloring?
I am not a pricing expert, but when I look at my Hoy invoices, and see the final price next to the weight, I notice pretty much across the board, that the thin rolled is about twice in cost per weight, then the double rolled sheet. I think part if it may be to the fragility of the handling of the glass?! But to be honest, thin rolled is now not the most ideal thickness for doing a wound piece. Maybe for creating a shard effect on a surface, but not if you are trying to gather significant volume quickly.

Comparing solid color to the 'whispy', I don't know for sure comparison wise, but I would think it has more labor involved as a person would have to surface blend those colors. What I like about the marbled (whispy) glass, it it gives surprises of color shifts and intensities. This makes it instantly "odd" and "streaky", both features you pay more for when buying in rod form

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.