View Single Post
Old 2012-07-05, 4:54pm
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Naos* View Post
Etchall Cream is Ammonium Biflouride at 20% solution.
Etchall Liquid is Ammonium Biflouride at 27% solution.

You should use gloves and avoid the eyes with these but they are much safer than what was mentioned in the Monash university article. i hope to god no one is using that kind of acid for etching and especially not at that concentration. The chemical in the Monash University article was Hydroflouric Acid at a 70% lab solution so much more pure.

I can't get into the first link.
yep the stuff we use is a much lower concentration but still very dangerous

this is what Kerry wrote, i dont think she will mind me reposting

Quote:
There is a lot of incorrect information about these products and on reading this thread I felt it import to pass on what we know.

We did offer this prouduct for a short while until we were alerted to its dangers. Jayson researched etching products extensively and I asked him to complie the information below for you so you fully understand this product before you use it.

"Etching cremes or liquids are all EXTREMELY DANGEROUS, and are exactly the same as the link posted above about Hydrofluoric Acid.

Etch-All (and other brands) products use Ammonium Biflouride, however this turns into Hydrofluoric Acid when mixed into an etching solution (a liquid or a cream). It does this in roughly a ratio of 1/3rd of the Ammonium Bifluoride. So Dip-N-Etch which is 27% Ammonium Bifluoride has an equivalent content of 9% Hydrofluoric Acid.

In Australia, anything above 3% Bifluorides is a Schedule 7 Poison. This is the highest level Poison classification available. In many of the states you need a permit to use it (let alone sell it), and to store any quantity or sell it you need special approvals, and to import it into Australia it needs different permits again. Some states wont give you a permit unless it will be stored in business premises (ie no storing it at home).

On top of this, in Australia it needs to be packaged and labelled as a Schedule 7 poison, something the current products (Etch All, Amour Etch etc don't meet). There is also plenty of anecdotal evidence that the bottles used by some of the products aren't up to storing this type of product. Leave a bottle near some glass on a shelf and the fumes that leak out of the sealed bottle will over time etch the glass!

Shipping these products is also difficult, there are strict regulations which for the health of our transport workers should be followed. This generally introduces a $100+ surcharge per shipment for shipping dangerous goods so alot of sellers worldwide (including the manufacturers) are prepared to not declare the product as dangerous goods to avoid this charge, risking seriously damaging a worker who goes to clean up a spilt shipment without realising what it is.

If it gets on your skin you wont know its burning as there is no immediate pain. Get enough on you and it can cause calcification in your blood stream and lead to heart failure. Amputations are a not uncommon way of treating this type of acid burn!

We did mistakenly sell this product for a short period of time before research showed how dangerous these products really are. The manufacturers know this, will admit it when pressed, but like to downplay it to keep up their sales.

To be safe, if you want your beads etched we recommend you take them to your local scientific glass blower (as they are set up to work with this chemical properly) and have them etch your beads for you, if you don't want to use sandblasting."

Hope that's helpful!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy