View Single Post
Old 2015-03-04, 4:17pm
Phill

You are going to find out that white is one of those colors that will melt if you just look at it and think about lighting the torch.

And there sometimes heated discussions about clear from a dozen different makers.

And then there are the Devardi colors which will lead you to pages and pages of discussions about this inexpensive glass made in India.

But I think you should shop until your eyes get blurry and then wait a week and shop some more but don't buy much of anything until you get a feel for what is out there and what a good price is for that particular glass.

But do set a few pennies aside for some of the exotic stuff. I am talking about the wonderful folks at Double Helix. Don't let the high cost of their normal stuff they sell throw you.

I am suggesting you hunt the mistakes that manufactures wind up with when something goes wrong and they wind up with glass that they might not want to attach the company name to.
Referred to as seconds and thirds these are batches that got screwed up some how and the company does not want to do anything with them but get rid of them.
The secret is that these cast offs are often just wonderful for the frugal student just getting started and often I can not find anything wrong with them but I don't have dozens of year of experience to be able to see it.

Oh and did I mention that some of it is a fantasy to play with in the flame?