View Single Post
Old 2009-03-16, 8:00pm

Wink

Plynnt - In addition to the Vortech and can fans mentioned by Diane, Fantech looks like it makes a great line of fans, also. There are many squirrel cage fan options, too.

As a recovering cancer patient, a barley box style vent hood system, like Beth has, might be a wise consideration. Beth has a picture posted elsewhere here in Safety. Looks like a nice design, and she made sure she has more than enough fan power. Robert Simmons also has a good design, which he's posted as well.

I've asked around, and no one I've talked with on LE knows how calculate the true safety level of the venting approach in which the flame is positioned to face directly into the vent duct (with no hood). I'm not saying that this approach can't be made to work, I just have no idea how to calculate the proper fan size, or how to know whether the full combustion plume around the flame has truly been captured. As interesting as this approach is, I'm always mindful of some of Robert's posts, in which he notes that the super hot air around the torch rises very, very quickly, which has always left me wondering if the no hood/vent duct approach can adequately capture all the combustion plume....

Linda