Thread: What to Get
View Single Post
Old 2007-06-23, 7:40pm
Formerly known as LT

I suggest getting the best kiln and torch you can afford so you are happy with them for a longer period of time and therefore a better investment. I love the lynx for a good little torch but the bobcat is also way cool and half the cost. I took classes on a bobcat, bought a lynx for my first torch, and needed an upgrade within a year. That said figure out what you want to make and then buy according to that.

The annealing kilns that I like that I have used are the annealer from the bead hive, and the bluebird from paragon. The bluebird I don't feel is as well made but is less expensive and you can make beads for days. I purchased a Paragon F-120 for many reasons and really love it. I mainly wanted more room for sculptural items.
As far as glass goes. I would ask in the garage sale for someone to put together a sample pack of colors. You will need a graphite paddle and a tungsten pick. You can get most tools cheap if you look around at non lampworking items, but you have to think outside the box on that.

For mandrels you may purchase TIG rod in the 316 strength (welding supply store) in whatever size you want and spend very little on mandrels. This is important in the begining as a newbie you will be hard on them. I think the last time I bought them it was around 15-20.00 per pound. You can get some nice cutters and use a dremel to clean up the ends.

Bead release I love to mix foster fire and bucket of mud toghether. Two 8oz bottles would last a long time.

The only thing I wouldn't skimp on is eye protection and ventilation. Both very important and worth every penny. Do a search on ventilation there are many threads on this full of great info.

Ask in the garage sale for the items you are looking for first and then buy new if needed. You can also find good stuff on ebay from time to time. Good luck and have fun!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Feldt's Glass; 2007-06-23 at 7:45pm.