Thread: What to Get
View Single Post
Old 2007-06-24, 8:07am
burnin' glass just becuz

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxjaw View Post
Well, I'm afraid that $2000 is out of my league

lol... no kidding. that's the price of a full pro setup. most people start on a much smaller scale. for a more frugal start u can begin with following:

-hothead torch ($30-60)
-safety glasses ($10)
-sheet of stainless steel to protect work surface
-crockpot & vermiculite (get the pot secondhand) OR fibre blanket ($12)
-1lb propane or MAPP gas tanks ($3-12)
-different sized mandrels (cheaper if u buy from the welding store and cut them yrself)
-bead release ($4-12)
-1 or 2 fans
-if u like, a couple books on beginning flamework
- shapers - check around the house for tools. i started with a brass butter knife, some old stainless spoons, forks, ice cream scoops for shaping, a steel painter's spatula for flattening beads, etc. just be creative.
-glass - i'd spend the most money (few hundred $)here trying all the basic and fancy colours and accessory items: frit, pixie dust, enamels etc. and just experiment.

Then read the archives here, try all the colours out in every possible variation and see if you like this new artform. if you do, then start upgrading your items (per the $2k budget) as time and yr budget permits. most people here recommend a kiln as the first major purchase so u can start selling beads to fund the upgrades.

good luck and hope this helps!

btw, i LOVE yr sculptures! can't wait to see what u'll create in glass...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Give ideas away - there are new ones underneath... Diane Vreeland

Last edited by ewdb; 2007-06-24 at 8:12am. Reason: fixing typos