Thread: What to Get
View Single Post
Old 2007-06-24, 6:08pm
da General

Unfortunately there is no way around spending some $$ if you want to do it right. I have to agree with Carolyn that safety is the most important, even if you start with a hothead torch. A couple of fans with an open window may get you by initially but is not a long-term solution if you are going to spend hours melting glass. And if you are going to use any glass and/or materials containing a lot of metal, you MUST have a ventilation system.

I started with a hothead and fan system and started reading more. Now I have a "real" system, including respirator when I work with metal such as silver and copper.

Setup $1785 +
Torch (Mini CC, Minor, or Bobcat) $200
Torch accessories (regulator, hose, quick release, flashback arrestor) $175
Oxycon $200-300
Propane $50
Hood, fan and enclosure $400
Kiln with digital controller $600-800
Electrician (for dedicated circuit for the kiln) $100
Respirator $10
Didymium glasses $50

$200+
Mandrels
Bead release
Marver
Graphite Paddle
Tweezer
Tungsten pick
BBQ masher
Glass
Frit

Carolyn wasn't far off when she mentioned $2000. Even with a hothead - you are still looking at about $1500. Your health is too important not to do it properly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|