View Single Post
Old 2009-03-01, 7:06am

I've tried at up to 150 psi to try and get an explosion when doing destruction tests on pedals. I ended up getting frustrated when I could not make an thing happen. So I got curious, and put some oil in a 2 litter soda bottle with a tire stem in the cap. And filled it with o2. and left it outside for awhile and still nothing. I Shot the thing because I was afraid to go near it and disturb it. I blew up and was as loud as a m-80 going off.

So I thought I had success in getting it to combust. turns out the explosion was just from the air. NO flame or fire.

Because I filled up a perfectly clean bottle with just compressed air. Then shot that with the .22 and the first shot bounced off. Because the bottle was so hard and it hit off center. Second shot BA BOOM! Same as when I had it filled with o2. So the explosion was just the violent release of all that pressure.

I ended up talking to the guy at the welding place about the o2 and oil test. He said I would need high pressure not low pressure. He considered any thing under 300 psi low pressure. High pressure he was talking like tank type pressures. He said there is published date on what temps and pressures will cause ignitions. He thought the oil might make a difference to depending on what it is. He did say liquid o2 on oily rags will usually start a fire tho.

Tho he din't want to say ins not passable. He said its not probable or likely to ever happen at any pressure AFTER the regulator.

But I pretty much gave up trying being as it was not going to happen in any pressure range any one would ever be able to even accidentally run there o2 at in a glass shop.

My main interest was if it was passable that some one could run there o2 and propane threw there hoses for a long time and then at some point disconnect there hoses and reconnect them wrong and start running o2 threw a dirty oily propane hose. But it din't turn out to be any thing that would be catastrophic.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.