View Single Post
Old 2013-02-02, 10:00am
Still makin' flowers...

Next, you'll be heating that shard until its all gooey and starts to flop around. I actually fold it up on itself, but its really important to not let air get caught in it, otherwise your finished cane will be super shocky. If you do get bubbles in there, you can super heat that area until they rise to the surface and pop. Continue to heat until you have a good blob. You're going to need to add a second punty, so you can actually do that at the beginning, so you have more control over your molten glass.

Heat your glass until its all glowing. If you haven't already added that second punty, now is the time to do it. You want it to be evenly glowing and a good round or oval shape.

Pull your glowy molten mass out of the flame and wait for a "skin" to appear on it. Start pulling, slowly and gently. When the cane reaches and thickness you like, you can blow on that area to "set" it. Since heat rises, you'll be able to tip the hotter area upwards and continue to pull until you have a cane. The one I'm working on here is pretty short, but its a good starting point for you.

As a side note, it looks like I'm pulling this in the flame, but it actually isn't. Its all in front of the flame.

Break off the punties and either immediately use your cane or place it in the kiln while you make others.

Here, I'm making a bead from my blue cane (remember to hold it with hemostats or tweezers since its just come from the kiln)... You can see where my cane has cracked a little. This is because I was waving the whole thing around too long while I fussed with the camera.

And here are some finished recycled glass beads! The first beads are done "freehand." The second set were done using a zoozii large gem press.

HAVE FUN! Now, lets see what you've made!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
--NEW and Updated Beading Tutorials for all levels
!

Last edited by HannahRachel; 2013-02-02 at 10:43am.