View Single Post
Old 2009-09-12, 9:19pm

I would want to torch in a separate space from the other activities. I admit I am a little paranoid about cotton lint and flammability and all the cotton dust on the rods (meaning a little dusting while you are torching). In reality, it could probably be done easiliy in a 12 x 16 space with the torch at one end and the sewing machine at the other. It may also be possible to segregate the 'torching' section of a 12 x12 room effectively, but I suspect that would really cut into your 'quilting' space.

But what the heck do I know? I don't have a dedicated sewing space, I use the dining room table to cut fabric (and to make jewelry - my supplies are in cabinet behind me and in a large portable set of 3" plastic drawers to my left) and the spare bedroom to sew in. My quilt stash and quilting supplies have completely overwhelmed the spare bedroom.

I guess my point is the I think of torching and some jewelry making (if you solder or do any metalwork) as 'dirty' occupations and quilting and bead stringing as 'clean'. All applications involve an incredibly large amount of space for storage and ease of use.