Thread: FLASHBACK
View Single Post
Old 2008-06-28, 6:24pm
Tinder Bloom Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maui Greenstone View Post
So, last night I experienced this for the first time in 6 1/2 years of lampworking. My Gtt phantom flashbacked into the oxy line, got caught at the quick connect and blew a hole in the line.....It happened when i tried to turn the outer flame on. Firstly I turned on the inner and the torch "popped" which i've never ever experienced with a gtt. Then, when i turned on the outer flame It wooshed out extremely propane rich, then suddenly sucked back into the torch. I shut the torch down and looked down cause i smelled hot rubber. I touched the line and it was too hot to touch, I reached down to touch it again and the hose exploded right in front of the connection.....We are sending in the torch to get looked at by gtt and see what caused this.

Has anyone else experience this extremely frightening phenomenon. If so what was the cause?
I've never worked on a torch w/an inner and outer ring so I have a couple of questions.

Does your outer flame have a separate line for oxygen and propane? Are they sourced from the same place as your inner flame is?

I don't have flash back arresters and I'm on a National 8M w/the 7 holed tip which is a surface mix tip. I also use a 5lpm concentrator which gives it a weak flame but good enough to do soft glass.

What I'm trying to understand is if you have positive pressure in your lines it shouldn't combust back into the lines. My torch pops when ever I'm lighting it for the first time of a session for some reason. I usually try to bleed the propane a little before I light but it still will pop, but after the first light it doesn't do it. I still can't figure it out.

When you mentioned the pop it worried me and whether or not my set up is safe.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.