View Single Post
Old 2010-07-03, 7:17pm
Formerly FishBulb

5. Place your black stringer on top of the thicker of your grays. This can be jagged (thankfully, 'cause it is on mine) because it will pull out, and it will also look okay on an organic murrini like this:

Name:  P1010620.jpg
Views: 7212
Size:  30.4 KB

6. By now you're getting quite a collection of glass at the tip of the ball from all the stripes meeting each other. Heat and pull some of this off with tweezers:

Name:  P1010621.jpg
Views: 7179
Size:  30.3 KB

7. Now heat the tip thoroughly so the stringers, stripes, white and clear are all hot right through:

Name:  P1010622.jpg
Views: 7091
Size:  29.2 KB

8. Heat the end of your second mandrel until glowing and push it straight into the heated tip of your ball. Make sure the mandrel pushes through all the layers of glass but do not drive it in too horribly far:

Name:  P1010623.jpg
Views: 7236
Size:  34.5 KB

Please note there is no need for the assembly to be vertical at this time. I had to hold it this way to take a photo since my ungrateful offspring was nowhere to be found when I was doing this, and I had to take these pics myself.

9. Once the second mandrel is in, hold the assembly horizontally and begin to heat gently. NOTE: Do not begin to pull the murrini while the stripes are not completely melted in. These are not yet melted in all the way:

Name:  P1010626.jpg
Views: 7162
Size:  30.7 KB

Hold on for part three...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.