View Single Post
Old 2007-11-18, 6:01pm
I like to melt things

Ok, here goes, this is the first time I will have uploaded anything on this forum so hope this works.

She ain't pretty but she works. I cut a 1.5" piece of foam insulation to use as a window insert. When I am done torching, I pull the whole thing back inside and shut the window (don't need the neighbours thinking I've got a grow op. in my house). I am using a 600 cfm squirrel cage fan with 6 inch ducting (2 x 90 degree elbows), funnel is just an 8-6" reducer. The nice thing about this setup is it is completely mobile and will easily move with me, I will just have to replace the foam an maybe extend the ducting as the situation requires. Makeup air is coming from an open window in the next room, seems to work alright, but I will probably get a little cold.

This side view shows how I have the fan sitting in a metal box, I was stumped on how to easily secure the unit without actually having to do any constuction (very heavy and tippy) for a while until I came up with this idea. The box is sitting on a cheap Ikea shelf unit which is just about the perfect height for my Ikea work bench.

Torch on and smoke test looks good to me! (Ignore all the smears you see on the left of the papertowel, they are just marks on the bench and backsplash, not smoke. The smoke is heading straight into the funnel.)