View Single Post
Old 2007-11-20, 5:23pm
I like to melt things

Quote:
Originally Posted by beadworkstudio View Post
Is the smoke test really accurate? Isn't the plume coming off the torch a lot hotter, and wouldn't that mean it might behave completely different from incense or other types of smoke? (I'm just asking because I don't know, and I would like to!)
It is actually a really good way to see how the air is moving because the smoke particles are so small and light they go where the air is going making invisible air currents visible! If the air is hot and moving, the smoke goes with it.

I did the smoke test all around the torch while the torch was lit, including holding it at the base of the torch and it goes straight into the funnel. I showed this picture so that you can get an idea of what size the funnel catchment area actually is with this blower and duct configuration.

Most of the combustion gas is propelled off the end of the flame due to the velocity of the gas/flame coming out of the torch. The idea is that funnel catches the fumes and sucks them away before they bloom out and disperse into the space, eliminating the need for a full enclosure or baffles, unlike when the intake is positioned above the torch in a fume hood.

Very good setup for claustrophobic me. Some may not like having the fan intake right in front of them on their bench though but it doesn't seem to affect my work style at all.