View Single Post
Old 2007-11-20, 6:18pm
I like to melt things

Quote:
Originally Posted by beadworkstudio View Post
That's what I was thinking. So how do we really know if our exhaust is effective?
Cracking open those 2nd year engineering fluid and thermodynamics textbooks would be a start I'm a manager now so I don't have to actually do any math these days

The fact that the fan can pull the smoke along the top or along side the flame into the funnel while the torch is on is a pretty good visual clue to me that the fumes are being taken out as well. If they weren't and going say perpendicular to the flame (if we imagine them to be rising) that would block or deflect the smoke, causing it to curl back and waft all over the place. Remember that smoke is made up of small particles of solid matter, and is probably heavier that the gas molecules coming off the torch, so I would guess that if the airflow is moving the smoke, it is moving the gas. Or I could be completely off base on this, I do think I am getting less smart as I age.

Last edited by glamgalglass; 2007-11-20 at 6:26pm. Reason: just trying to make it clearer (maybe unsuccessfully...)