View Single Post
Old 2005-07-30, 4:43am
Professional Bead Pimp

Like I said, I wasn't trying to be rude or insensitive. It just seems to me that if you REQUIRED a device like this to make beads, then it might be best to try something that is more easily done. As an example, something like painting might be better.

Lets assume one handed or one armed for a second. Think about the safety aspect of trying to "balance" the tasks of torch control, mandrel control, AND rod control. with just one hand. I'm not saying it is impossible, I'm just saying there is a steep learning curve. Theoritically, you could have some custom devices made that you could control with a foot, knee, or elbow to control things.

And Misty, big <<HUGS>> to you for trying this device and reporting on it. The first time I saw it it looked a little flimsy to me too. I guessed that the prototype was probably made by someone to assist a person with a handicap, and that was a good thing to do.

And Stacy, your DGf (I don't know this acronym) deserves MUCH praise for giving woodworking a try. A scroll saw is perfect because if it is bolted down, it is pretty safe to use even with limited mobility. I've learned that dealing with a handicap is much more about the mental aspect than the physical. I've been on crutches for almost 6 weeks and I learned (and witnessed) a LOT about handicap people and facilities, such as doors, stairs, and even parking spaces.

What WOULD work well for a one handed person would be a glass lathe. Unfortunately, they start at about $10,000 for a good used one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Another Analog Brain in the New Digital World" - me
"The fact that nobody understands you doesn't make you an artist" - PopCap Zuma game, Level 12-7

Last edited by BillBrach; 2005-07-30 at 4:54am.