View Single Post
Old 2007-03-18, 9:13am
Viking Flame Keeper

I can't help you with the mesh as I've never used it. I use a bit of dichro though!
Is the dichro on clear or black glass?
You have to work the dichro pretty cool to keep the coating from burning off. If you use clear dichro pick up a piece with your pliers (or holding tool of choice) and heat it on the glass side only. At the same time heat the spot on the bead where you want to place it. Put the dichro on the bead and concentrate on smooshing the edges down so the coating does not creep out. Heat the piece of dichro very carefully, just so it's pliable, and smoosh.
Cover the edges with clear and perhaps smoosh a bit more. Shape the bead carefully. You never want a bead with dichro to get drippy molten hot, only as hot as you need to shape it.
With the black dichro you have to be even more careful as you have to put it coating side up on the bead. Cover with clear ASAP! I've seen beads made with black dichro without encasing but that will take a lot of experience I'm sure to pull that off successfully.

I use the dichro strips from R4 glass, they are wonderful and take quite a lot of heat without burning the coating, unlike some other kinds I've tried.

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary and those who don't.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.