View Single Post
Old 2013-10-18, 8:08am

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendbill View Post
Larry, are you suggesting the mfrs are listing a bit of hope over true application?

I know for instance that while my concentrator copes fine with my minor burner, the times i have used a minor torch (or other) with tanked oxygen, it's very clear you can get more out of the torch with the additional heat and purer oxygen.

Being brutally honest with my specific concentrator it's a step up from a hot head not necessarily more. On the other hand, it's also pretty clear to me, at my current skill level, purer oxygen is only going to cost me more. My skill level isn't worth the extra investment (particularly for what is a hobby for me - I'm neither talented nor driven enough to make it a career like others).

I've seen one artist basically drop a ball of molten glass onto a mandrel, and instantly have a perfectly balanced bead. Skill makes a huge difference.
This is a curious point of view. Why must this be a career to want to develop your skills? Have you considered that maybe your skill level is being handicapped by your equipment? Do a search here for threads concerning switching to tanked oxy or a higher capability industrial generator. There are a lot in the last few years. May be an eye opener.