View Single Post
Old 2019-04-30, 3:49pm

Speedslug: Cones are a great, easy to access starting point that basically are the very definition of an "industry standard for temperatures" (if interpreted slightly loosely). I am absolutely going to look at availability across different temperature range, and also into how they work to see if they can be made at home.

[Note: the pottery world is fantastic for keeping hobbyists with direct access to chemicals and raw materials for every step of their processes. You guys could buy all the parts to build ramp-controlled kilns for garaging and annealing for a couple hundred bucks]

As for the IR temp measurement, I'm pretty sure that BB radiation peak at the temps of our flames is in the UV?

LarryC: I will definitely hit up both those groups. Thank you for the referrals.

I have lots to go on for now; thank you guys. Quick side question ... Do the lampworking communities already have good tutorials on minimalist kiln-building, or should I take some pictures next time I do a build (it's really just a PID controller, SS relay, K or J thermocouple, resistive wire, firebrick/similar refractory material, and an enclosure). I really want to get involved/contribute in the community