View Single Post
Old 2010-06-16, 10:48am
Critter Mom

A few months ago there was some talk about Bullseye changing their annealing schedules, but I wasn't sure if it was just for fusing (since that's what they do the most) or if it included lampwork...so I sent an email and this is the response from Bullseye:

Hi Bonnie- For annealing of beads, the same annealing schedule you have been using at 960 is still just fine. I’m not sure that Tip Sheet 2 had an accurate annealing schedule for lampworking, but here is some instruction from our torchworking teacher Bonnie Celeste.

Program kiln to hold at 960 for at least an hour longer than the beadmaking session. The idea here is to give that last bead a soak time of an hour at 960. Next ramp to 500 degrees at the rate of 100 degrees per hour. Then let the kiln cool to room temperature at its own insulated rate, which could also be programmed in, but the kiln is essentially off at that point.

It's OK to turn the kiln off for a minute to reprogram it if you need to adjust the hold time as long as it is started right back up again.

AFAP stands for As Fast As Possible. Depending on your kiln, the command may be 9999 or "Full" (full power) or maybe something else.

rate temp hold
AFAP 960 x (possible beadmaking time + 1 hour)
100 500 :01
AFAP 70 :01

Here's another approach, using the same schedule, if the controller has a "skip segment" feature.

Program the kiln to hold at 960 and enter a really long hold time (say 12 hours or something like that). Then program a 2nd hold at 960 for one hour, ramp 100 degrees per hour to 500, then off (or ramp as fast as possible to room temperature - which is the same thing). The idea here is that once the last bead goes in, whether it's after two hours of beadmaking or ten hours of beadmaking, then the "skip segment" feature would be employed to move the kiln to the 2nd hold at 960 (for an hour) and then the rest of the schedule.

rate temp hold
AFAP 960 12:00
AFAP 960 1:00
100 500 :01
AFAP 70 :01

I hope this helps- thank you!

Susan

Susan Green
Sales Supervisor
Bullseye Glass Co
3722 SE 21st Ave
Portland OR 97202
888-220-3002
www.bullseyeglass.com

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.