View Single Post
Old 2007-10-21, 5:20pm
Button Queen

Well, I'll add my $0.02 in to the discussion. I have 2 different set-ups I generally use.
1. Minor on NG and under-powered 5lpm oxycon (at home)
2. Piranha on tanked O2 and propane (at camp)

I decided I just had to try out the Mega Minor. It came and I set it up and ran it this weekend using the following configurations.
1. NG and the above-mentioned underpowered oxycon - I felt it definitely ran hotter than the Minor on the same configuration. Not tons, but enough so that I'd go for the Mega Minor over the Minor. I could push the flame a bit more and get it a little bit hotter.

2. Tanked O2 and NG working with boro - Oh my! Again, I'd say it's hotter than the Piranha, but not a huge difference. Of course, I'm used to running the Piranha on propane and I was using NG (I didn't want to hook the propane up inside the house). I think if I was to use this torch on propane I could push it even hotter. And I also think it was easier to get an oxidizing flame on the Mega Minor than the Piranha.

For me the bottom line is:
I'm going to sell the Piranha and replace it with the Mega Minor. At some point in the future I'd like to go to a Bullet Burner, at which time I'll replace the Minor with the Mega Minor.