View Single Post
Old 2014-09-08, 9:48pm
Moving On

Here are two DIY ways to fix the slot:

As I don't have any sort of bench vise at my new house, I simply braced the tool between my body and the kitchen counter to keep it still.

1) The Mitchell's Cord was a good, slow, more gentle way to file down the upper slot. I have two types of cord. I gently worked the thinner one up and back to grind open the slot, then did the same with the thicker one. If you want to try them, let me know**, and I'll send you lengths of both.

2) My preference for fixing the problem (and what I also did with my Carlo Dona presses) was to use my Dremel and my tapered, pointed diamond reamer. I have a variable speed Dremel, and using a low-mid speed and starting with a skinny part of the reamer (not forcing it), I ran the reamer around the perimeter of the slot (picture the outline of the slot looked at from above as a U shape.

As the edges of the slot became smoother, I then was able to work the reamer through the slot to make it more consistent in size, plus bigger, so as to accommodate the mandrel.

SO... That was a whole lot of words to say I used a tapered diamond bead-reamer to smooth out and open up the upper slot.

If you don't have a tapered diamond bead-reamer, they are available very cheaply from Widgetsupply.com, or, when I get in a supply I just ordered, I'd be happy to send you one. Again, let me know.**

The NON-DIY Fix:

If you really don't want to do this yourself (or don't know anyone who will do it for you) (it is really very easy), you can send it to me, and I will do it for you and send it back. **To do this, please please let me know, and I will send you a return USPS label (tell me if you are using the same box, and zipcode), and I will ship it back to you.

I really, really want to see people using and enjoying this tool! And I'd REALLY love to start seeing some flowers being made and used in some jewelry and/or other designs!!!!--Gail

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.