View Single Post
Old 2009-02-22, 5:37pm

Okey dokey, this was NOT something I needed to get addicted to - I already have enough things that take tons of time and more eyesight and manual dexterity than I have... But this is downright compelling, isn't it? I've only made 3 tiny (2") samples, just to check different size mandrels and different drawdowns, but I am already chomping at the bit to make something big enough to actually wear. I think this will look so cool as a necklace with a silver-cored bead on it....

Now the questions... I'm using 28 ga fine silver wire, starting with either a 3/8 or 1/4 inch metal stamp as a base (4 sided) and making four loops. Obviously it's quite a bit 'lacier' looking than the ones shown here, so I guess I want to try with more loops, though not sure how to space those out on a 4 sided stamp. My real questions are - if it's drawn through a reasonably small hole (small enough to have to work at it, not enough to have to brace my legs to pull it or anything), is that hardening it enough that I don't have to worry about it smashing flat? Or is the wire I'm using too fine to ever reach that point? I don't want to make a bracelet if it's just going to smash flat when I put my hand on the table, but I can't imagine using much thicker wire, it will kink like mad...

Also, is there a clear explanation of the double knit somewhere? The tutorial I purchased talks briefly about it, but says to do two rows of single, then a row of double - is that how double is always done, or is that just this pattern?