Thread: Cheaper HotHead
View Single Post
Old 2009-08-10, 7:21am
Gentleman of Leisure

To add more fuel to fire so to speak......

To clean a hot head (older style) get information here...

http://www.cauldroncreations.com/hotheadinfo.html

For newer style HH there is NO ORIFICE to clean, the best you can hope for is to soak head in non oily solvent like acetone or lacquer thinner Maybe wash in soap and water. Dry out and hope for best......

As for propane tanks... OUTSIDE PERIOD....... In almost every state, county. city in US it is illegal to store anything larger than a 1 pound container in residence... Some COMMERCIAL installations are exempt under certain conditions.... There is a 99.44/100 percent chance your installation is not one that is exempt.

As for long hoses, if its commercially made and uses hose material that is manufactured for LPG use and rated at about 300psi or greater it is probably ok to use such hoses.... Any hose that in commercially made is probably as safe and any other thing we do today but there are risk involved.... Yes there is a documented case on LE where there was a hose failure.. Be aware...

Here is little experiment with hose...

http://www.artglassanswers.com/forum...php?f=21&t=223

As for torches being designed for hose use... Does not matter torch is designed to mate to "connector"... IF hose has same connector as tank there are same risks at connection.....

Long hoses and connections are available commercially and through RV and camping supplies the come in lengths up to 20 feet, so "a short hose is all I could find" argument is not a valid one.... Glass suppliers seem to think short hoses are all you need, they are wrong and are not doing you, or industry any favors.... You need to go outside the box.....

As far as I know there is no flashback arrestor available that operates properly at propane tank pressures (approximately 125 psi), somebody please tell me I am wrong....

Riveting a hot head to make adjustable is in conflict with the design criteria the every body says CJ went to great lengths to design into HH... Riveting HH will make it operate more fuel rich therefor it will be more reducing and be less desirable in most glass work........

NO you can not plumb high pressure propane into studio with metal piping EVER....... Nation safety codes restrict pressures to 10psi maximum in most cases

This document was originally written years ago (2005), and has been continually updated, and still holds up today.......

http://www.artglassanswers.com/forum...c.php?f=12&t=7

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2009-08-10 at 9:03am.