View Single Post
Old 2006-06-25, 9:21am
PyronamixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starrr
The only torch I've ever used is a minor with 2 oxy concentrators, and I use my knobs all the time, I tend to work very hot. Even on one bead, I go from medium to melt, full boat propane to reduce, to a fine pinpoint just a slight 1/2 inch from the torch head for detail. If I see carbon building up on a port, I just flick it off with my knife and keep working. I clean my ports a few times a week but found the most important thing is to not ever let your propane tank get so low that it runs out. I swap out when I'm about 2/3 down, that way I'm not getting any gunk on my beads from the additives in the propane. The first time I see my glass get an air bubble, new tank.

I've been thinking of adding a Cudda, but I love the small pinpoint flame I get with my minor that I'm not sure I could adjust to a new torch if I couldn't get so up and personal with the flame.
About your propane... I think you're wasting a lot of propane. EDIT: You're wasting it if you're swapping out tanks. If you're just getting the same tank refilled, you only pay for what they put in. EDIT, AGAIN: I just got my propane tanks refilled and learned that when you pay for a fill, you pay for a fill - regardless of what is left in the tank. So... As long as you keep your tank upright, you should not have any problem with the additives affecting your glass. The torch operates on the fumes that come up off the liquid - so, there is nothing that really gets onto your glass at lower tank levels that could not get onto your glass otherwise. If you tip the tank, though, that junk can come up through your lines and shoot out fireballs from your torch or make a flame that makes your torch look like a flame thrower.

If you are getting stuff on your glass, it could be that you are not burning the propane enough or that you are running your flame too low and overheating your torch, causing carbon buildup. If your torch is carboning up, carbon from that can get onto your glass. How you run your flame directly affects what happens to your torch and your glass. What length candles are you running? What do they look like?

Air bubbles are not indicative of impurities in your propane. Scumming (lots of tiny air bubles) can be caused by working too hot (boiling your glass). There are lots of other reasons for air bubbles, but "additives in your propane" is not among them.

I read that you have not used any torch other than the Minor. I think you would be surprised at the small flames some other torches can get. If you run just the centerfire of the 'cuda, you will be a ble to get a small flame. If you run a triple mix torch, you will be able to get an even smaller flame.

Last edited by kbinkster; 2006-06-28 at 3:49pm. Reason: clarification