View Single Post
Old 2007-07-12, 5:37am

Default Kiln unattended

Yes, I did hear that about the dryers. My husband cleans out the dryer duct about once a month and we vac under it at the same time.
Anyway, I've got more to worry about then my kiln.
Like all the enamels I had to work with yesterday for an exhibition that's coming up.

I did have on the correct respirator, correct ventilation, an open door and window, I moved everything off my work table except the essentials, I wore long pants, a long sleeve shirt, and gloves, and hell, let me tell you those gloves are difficult to work in.
And talk about hot!!!!!!! It was about 85 here yesterday with high humidity. At least my basement is cooler.

When I'm done I wash the clothes I was working in. I feel like I should just wear a hazmat suit, like the ones they wear on 24!
After all the posts I've read on here about using enamels I'm getting really paranoid, and for good reason.
When I was done working I damp mopped the whole studio. YIKES, therefore I only use them when absolutely necessary.

I believe this was mentioned in another post but I took a class from a very prominent beadmaker a couple of years ago and guess what, no respirators and only windows for ventilation!
If I had only known!!!
Leslie