View Single Post
Old 2011-07-31, 6:36am

Smile

Hi Donna, well, frankly, the only "danger" is in the shopping about...... yes, I admit, I am a bad influence on this, as I am a poor window shopper, and have found some really awesome places to shop at, which I share with the students.

The actual cost of the workshop and shared apartments (2 to a room) is in US dollars, so that we, coming from the US, can better gage overall expenses. Those from othe countries, have the advantage of this monetary pricing in that if any currency is the one with the most flucuation, it is the dollar, as the European euro is always a bit stronger. Lucio and Luigi's keeping prices in US dollar is a risk for them, but one I know they have not yet regretted in 6 years of arranging workshops for them, so all is good.

The workshop, that includes glass materials used and a lunch is $1600US. The shared apartment with Luigi is $55US per person, two to a room in a studio style apartment complete with private bathroom, kitchen and laundry washer. We also have other accomdations that rent for around 100 euro a night, but can house more than two persons, so it can work out to be about the same as Luigi's but you share with more people.

Cost of eating if you prepare most your meals yourself, is very cheap. It gets expensive if you eat out at restaurants. Buying fresh produce and basic foods in the local markets is very reasonable. The custom is to buy small quantities, and buy at it's freshest, so you live a lifestyle very much like the locals.

To help to keep costs down, I do bring a peanut butter jar with me () 'cause I love the stuff and it basically does not exist anywhere in Venice. I recommend those who like oatmeal, to bring little packets with, as oats are also not found in this region of Italy. These kind of little things to pack in your luggage, go a long way in keeping money in your pockets, to better support your shopping, and your overall spending.

Now that said, wine can be found very cheap.... anywhere from a couple euro a bottle to your liking! Buying drinking water is not necessary, but could be recommended. I often fill my drinking water bottle from the handy "fountains" for this purpose that are intermittanty all about the islands! It's just sometimes the apartment water I found needed to be "run" a little while, as they are not always in use.

The majority of shopping where students drop the most money is in Dona tools (well, who could resist??!) and in the wholesale shopping. All of these places, though, are cash and carry, SO, the benefit of that is that you do not spend more than you can afford~

So far, I think students have found the best way to bring money with is to use the "magic money walls" (ATM's). I always have students do "their homework" and check out what is better for them in the end... Travelers checks are not very well received. Credit card is fine for certain types of shopping, but you then get taxed by the banks for each transation (bastardos ) so, those with a good debit card plan, seem to be the happiest all around.

Another thing I do with the group, is we CONSTANTLY KEEP IN UNISON CONTACT throught the time leading up to the trip with all students in group emails!! THIS is where I am unique in the preparations of the groups. I know it was what "I" like and what I treasure the most. I do not hand-hold anyone, mind you! Do not mis-interpret what I am saying. Personally, I am a strong fairly independant traveler. This trait is what has led me to find paths that are priceless. Doing our own homework, and sharing as a group of common-interest-folk, help bind us in our quest! I really strive for a good cohesive group of people.

One of the things we share as a group before hand, is keeping an eye on air fares, and shareing when we found something or timing to be good. We've shared cheapest phone options, the banking options, etc. Having purchased fares to Venice for so many trips now, I can give you some advise as to "choices" of arrivals and departures, that can also save you time and money. Obviously, cost of air fare will vary from what part of the world you are coming from, as are what airlines have the best deals for different regions you come from. From the US, for example, there are three cities right now, that have direct flights to VCE; Philladelphia, Atlanta and JFK. These can mean less hassle of connections in other foreign countries. It may also mean a little more cost, but maybe not that much difference finacially when you weigh the differences. We help each other out in advise on all these kinds of matters, and this is [u]unique to our groups !!

We basically get to know each other before we even set foot in Venice, so this way, we are on to more important things like getting to know Murano and Venice and all it offers. I've been a pretty good judge of pairing up students in the apartments. Al lot of that comes from having gotten to know the personalities coming and also trying to pair them with the best suited schedule as well. It's surprising in the end how well it all works out... There are also places you can find on your own, and I have a great link to share to students if they prefer that. What I have found, though, is that in the end, students have preferred much more to be staying in Murano than in Venice proper! Just because maybe it is a more special place.

There is plenty of room to do your own thing, but also benefit from the overall energy of the group as a whole. I strongly urge everyone to do their homework, and plan for sights to see on their own in their free time, this for sure! I cannot count how many people who came, alone, not with a personal friend/travel companion, and walked alway with several life-ling NEW friends! I think that the experience you go through in our groups, helps to creat this camaraderie. Helps to give deeper emotion to the overall experience. This is something you do not "buy" anywhwere! I see it for sure in those who were open to this completely different place, different way of life, and open to come what may.

Hope this helps a little to give you ideas, and if not, others who have done the trip may chime in and give you ideas and tips. Again, the biggest expense is in how much "outside shopping" you want to do. Otherwise, it's pretty laid out for you. With good preparation time, you can stash money away and be totally prepared for it!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Ofilia; 2011-07-31 at 6:43am.