View Single Post
Old 2006-08-17, 5:47pm
Lady Firebird

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeky monkey
#1: Do people ever have websites that they DON'T sell stuff on, they just show their work etc?
Absolutely. I still don't sell on my website (though that is coming), and I've had it live for ten years. Of course it has changed radically in that time.

Quote:
#2: I want to be able to make changes and update my site myself, I have Frontpage on my comp and was thinking I would do my own stuff (with that kid I talked about ) Is that advisable? How much time (after the inital setup) do you spend keeping yours up to date?
You can spend as much time as you want to keep it up to date. It can be a real time sink.

I would caution you against using FrontPage, especially if you have computer-savvy kids to help. FrontPage can really do a number on your website, and NOT for the better. It will create code that eats up your storage space, and bandwidth. There are better tools out there for cheap or free; HomeSite comes to mind.

Quote:
#3 What would you say are the MOST important things to have on a site? (I am not really into blogging as I think no one needs to know about my life)
I don't have a real answer for this, except to say that it should reflect YOU rather than being generic.

Quote:
#4 Do I have to have a shopping cart or can I add that later??
Add it later. A good webhost will make it easy to add a cart, or anything else, as you need it. The only problem may be that you have to upgrade your account to get more space.

Quote:
#5 Any one got mistakes they made that they would caution others against doing too?
Thanks in advance for your answers - I appreciate it!!
Like others have said, choose your webhost carefully! I use LiveHost.net and have been very happy with them. They make things easy, have reasonable prices, and have good customer support. Sure, I'm a geek, but you don't have to be with their packages.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GTT Scorpion torch & Regalia oxycon