View Single Post
Old 2005-08-29, 2:26pm

Talking

I use 28 or 30 gauge fine silver.... No dowel ... Need darning needle size will give you your loops

To start make 4 or 5 twisted pieces of wire with small loops on the end attach them all together at the bottom, loops should all end at the same place/level .. and be arranged in a circle

Cut a piece of wire 2 or 3 feet long (You'll get a feel for the right length) hold onto a couple of inches of wire to get started. Start with the wire on the inside of the loops go from the inside outside wrap the wire around your darning needle and go back into the loop you just came out of and out the next one going clockwise.... just keep going round and round...

To add stitches just make a loop with the wire between real loops to decrease
just pull the wire tight don't make the loop

To add wire end on the inside twist the new peice onto the old one and keep going.

If this doesn't make sense email me or PM me and I'll try and scan some hand drawn (that should be a laugh) drawings...

When it is all done pull it through a draw plate to even it out, my draw plate is a metal knitting needle gauge, works great!

Lynne

Addendum I use brass wire to make my holder and also do the first inch or so in brass.... The number of stiitches you use is what dictates the size your kinitting will end up... So get the 'chain' to the diameter you want before you switch to silver then just snip the brass off the bottom when you are done, you can use your brass starter over and over again....

Last edited by Islandgirl; 2005-08-29 at 2:39pm.