View Single Post
Old 2018-06-01, 6:18am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorraine Chandler View Post
Sounds good. Replacement air should be pulled in from behind you over your shoulders.

My personal test is this: I want to feel exactly the same when leaving a torching session as when I went in except for maybe a little tired. NO headaches, No eye strain, NO sore throat, No coughing, No tightness in chest, no burning like a sunburn on my face or arms etc.

I would say if your are using any glass that has any of the super harmful additives like gold, silver, lead, cadmium etc. please wear a respirator either a full or half mask. I ALWAYS wear at least a half mask.

If you are going to be working with frits or frit powders or even worse pixie dust which is so finely ground it actually will float in the air for a long time, wear a respirator for sure.

When you look at the particles of frit powders under a powerful microscope you will see they are not round but very sharp and jagged. They embed in your lungs and stay there and can cause health problems.

Good job getting after it. I wish more people would do this.
Stay safe and have fun.
Taking your comment to heart - as I'm new to bead making - I do have ventilation in my studio added especially for my torch but I'm not sure I have an optimal set up yet as I have noticed a sore throat lately - so thinking I need to wear a respirator - is there one you would recommend that is lightweight and comfortable enough to work in?

Thanks June