View Single Post
Old 2015-03-21, 6:21pm

I'm requesting advice/input from the experienced patina users out there. I recently used the ammonia/salt soak method on some of my electroformed shells and got a BEAUTIFUL blue patina. I tried the lacquer I have (oil based) and it darkened the patina so much that it doesn't even resemble the original blue patina.

I then tried a couple of others that are water-based, Rio's Midas Sealer and Liquitex Matte Varnish, and they also appeared to darken the patina. The Midas began to pull the patina into the brush and "stuff" started forming in tiny bits... Maybe the salts... Once dried the Liquitex changed the color to a more greenish tone. Not bad, just not the original blue. Now that the Midas has thoroughly dried the blue has mostly come back and I'm going to apply another coat or two and keep my fingers crossed.

What has everyone's experience been and with what products? I'm planning on using these shells with some bright copper electroformed connectors that I made (from cheap zinc pieces) to create a multistrand necklace.

Thanks for any input you all take the time to post
Sharon in Iowa

Last edited by ItsMeSB; 2015-03-21 at 6:26pm.