Thread: All glass ring
View Single Post
Old 2008-06-16, 5:11am
Formerly Deesigned Beads

I have been making rings (104 COE) for some time. First I made them free hand (off-mandrel), but found that I could never get the same size every time. then I moved to mandrels, had mine made, and now I have 4 sizes to play with. The cleaning of the inside is a bugger, but I used my combined knowledge of porcelain restoration and silversmithing to be able to clean/polish the inside.

With the free hand rings, I found that I was not able to really keep the shape and size nicely when I tried surface decorations - yet another reason to move to mandrels. My ring mandrel is only 20 mm wide, and this allows me to make nice wide decorated rings, but not to much strain on the shoulder/arm, as with my first version of a 30 mm ringmandrel. It is also easy to make rings with a bulbous top.

(the glass I used was old moretti which I scummed the heck out of, but it was just to see what the ring would look like, adding the murrinni to it.)

Anyway, I have offered a glass for madrel swop in the Patio, should anyone be interested.

Diana

Last edited by Art of Hand; 2008-06-16 at 5:23am.