View Single Post
Old 2012-11-21, 10:05pm

Actually, with the Infinite Rim molds you use the bottom. That's what "infinite rim" refers to. The whole thing functions (somewhat) like the rim due to its geometry. Maybe for final step you're still supposed to use just the edge.

Maybe I am putting it in too hot. Whatever the case, with less effort, the 6 in 1 gives me a smoother marble with less effort. I use the Infinite Rim mold for quickly getting things into round that are way far away from round - it excels at that. I've probably turned out a thousand marbles using the pair and a lot more than that using the 6 in 1, so I'm not just blowing smoke.

edit to add:
Drew Fritts, the inventor of the IR molds and a person that's made a lot more marbles than myself, doesn't even use his graphite Infinite Rim molds for the final step, but switches to a cherrywood mold because of this very problem. I find I don't need the cherrywood mold, because the cup-style mold leaves the marble completely ready for flame-polishing. I might change my ways when I start making more large marbles, because the larger the marble, the harder it is to keep the edge of the cup-style from leaving lines.

I'm very glad to have both, and I use them both on almost every piece I make.

Last edited by dusty; 2012-11-21 at 10:36pm.