View Single Post
Old 2015-03-07, 4:25am
He can do the origami

Amorphous Designs covered a lot of great information. I would stress the need to label your rods. There are several colors that look very similar if not exact, especially wearing shade threes. Pulling a rod of turquesa instead of cobalt can be a terrible thing since turquesa strikes and cobalt doesn't.

This goes for all COEs but do not be afraid to experiment. If a color does one thing when it strikes in a hot, oxy rich flame, don't be afraid to see what it does if you reduce it a little, or a lot. Add dots of clear over striking colors, dots of clear over areas you reduced. You will be amazed.

If you can, learn some of the chemestry of the colors you use.... what makes color "A" strike blue or green or purple? Learn some of this and you can better learn what to expect, how to achieve it and how to alter it better. This is also good knowledge for mixing colors. Some will give you a specific outcome and some will totally surprise you.

LAYER!! Layer striking colors over other striking colors. Layer striking colors over white, over black, over cobalt, over green transparent. Layer striking colors over sparkle colors layered over white, black etc. Try layered combinations encased and unencased. Again try dots of clear over your layered colors.

Let striking colors stay in your kiln over several cycles. I have learned a lot about striking colors with this procedure.

The best advice I can give is experiment, play learn and have fun! Good luck and glad you joined the dark side!

Otter

Last edited by Otter's Flame; 2015-06-19 at 3:56am.