Thread: Hagstom's DVD's
View Single Post
Old 2013-03-23, 6:32pm

Hagstrom Chaos Fume Opal Pendant

Running time approx. 79 minutes with 73 minutes of actual content.

This was the first DVD mentioned in the first post of this thread. This DVD is actually volume 2 of the borosilicate bead and pendant series, and Mr. Hagstrom mentions that he covers a bit more about the fuming process in volume 1.

Quality: This is a self produced production done with a mounted video camera. All views are from a single aspect. The video is not high definition. The focus is soft because the video is shot through a filter (probably ACE 202). The camera was set on autofocus, so on a couple of occasions, the video shifts out of focus, but this did not affect the presentation much. I would say that for tutorial purposes, the video and sound quality was good, but more demanding viewers might not think so. I am not a frequent YouTube user, since I don't have the bandwidth for streaming video, but I would say that it is at least as good as a YouTube video.

The presentation is done in real time and as far as I could tell, there were no steps omitted or shown in fast forward mode. (I remember noting that I did not see the removal of the pendant from the pontil/punty, but I was distracted several times while watching the video.) Mr. Hagstrom used the technique of explaining what he was going to accomplish and then demonstrating the procedure, step by step.

Subjects:
1) Materials
2) Making the chaos fume cane (25 minutes) with the inside-out technique
Jointing different sizes of tubing, flame cutting
Fuming: applying the metal layer, then reducing the layer
Building the pattern
Closing and condensing the tube
3) Making the pendant body by folding cane (20 minutes)
4) Preparing, attaching, and encasing the opal (20 minutes)
5) Finishing the pendant

The entire procedure was one using what appeared to be the inner fire of a Phantom burner, which is supported by Mr. Hagstrom's description of the inner fire as a Lynx.

Last edited by De Anza Art Glass Club; 2013-03-23 at 7:14pm. Reason: Corrected running time