View Single Post
Old 2007-07-09, 12:35pm
PyronamixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by meitali View Post
well, from what i understand and have been told all along the 2 years i've been lampworking, soda flare is bad for your eyes too.
Meitali,

Mike Aurelius (from Aura Lens) has been following this thread and has asked me to direct you to the following link:
http://www.auralens.net/e_gwrecommend.cfm

That page explains a lot. There are few corrections to be made: UV generation starts at 4,500 F, not 6,000 F, and Glass Alchemy does not make Green Dwarf, that was a gun mount color.

Pay particular attention to the quote from NIOSH HETA 98-0139-2769:

"… Since the levels of optical radiation produced in these glass bead operations are generally below occupational exposure levels, many beadmakers may believe that they do not need to wear any type of eye protection. NIOSH investigators believe that appropriate eyewear needs to be worn for the following reasons:

a) To minimize sodium flare and IR levels.
b) To protect the eyes from broken glass.
c) To prevent burns of the eyelids."

The article also discusses the "sunglass effect." Mike said "it is not just about the gold coated lenses, it applies to any filter material that does not filter IR, which is usually most sunglasses."

Mike asked me to tell you that he will be at the Gathering and would be happy to sit down with you and discuss the issues and the various options you have as well as answer any of your questions.