View Single Post
Old 2018-01-24, 11:35pm
Phill

There will be a metric ton of information in the safety conversation threads as well as the studio threads and I have learned a lot just cruising them.

The O2 bottle will be just fine inside your shed.

You will want to keep it upright because the dangers of tanks that size are when they fall down and putting them into a horizontal position exposes them to that danger twice, once you put it down and once when you pick it up.

Besides if there is any thing lose inside the thing it will be less likely to get anywhere near the valve as long as it is upright.

Check with your city before you invest in a tank though because quit a few have ordnances against tanks in residential areas. Mostly its to keep the backyard mechanics from setting up junk yards but it can keep the welding supply companies from making deliveries to the house.

It is possible to load one into a car back seat to bring it home and take it back for swapping out but it really is a big hazard to your back.

If you go with tanked O2 remember that the valve stems will leak if it is not ALL the way open or ALL the way closed unlike the propane tanks valve stems.

I really recommend that you skip the tanked O2 and go with oxygen concentrator(s).

They can be found for less than the cost of buying a tank and will work just fine for learning this glass melting addiction.

When you get around to dropping 6 or 7 hundred dollars or more on a torch then you can think about going to tanked O2 if your really want to rage the torch.

I did pick up a "knee high" tank when I was in Florida, I think they called it a "forty", but I wouldn't want to be man handling anything much larger than that on a regular basis.

As for your shed you will want to insulate it both for the heat and for the noise.

I know of folks that have their torch bench set up on a table right next to a 7 foot locker with shelves for everything and a lockable door.
The torch and tools go into the locker at the end of a session with the hoses run through a hole in the back of the locker and the wall to the tanks chained up out side the wall.

Good Luck with your start and remember that you only have to learn all the safety details once but you do need to know them.

Welcome to our addiction.

ETA: When using the search function use quotation marks for stringing words together or you may wind up with a gazillion threads for each individual word.

Google will also have search answers if you add Lampworketc.com before your search phrase and may be more productive.

Last edited by Speedslug; 2018-01-24 at 11:45pm.