View Single Post
Old 2012-10-04, 11:24am
Melting

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetiedog View Post
No pictures ... but I have a JenKen beadbox (6") with a bead door and after one too many "kiln kissing" accidents that left me beyond frustrated, I went ahead and ordered this guy. It was the only thing I found that was small enough to fit my little 6" kiln.

http://www.mountainglass.com/Kiln-Mandrel-Rack.html

Best. Purchase. Ever.

No more kiln accidents and I can fit 3 times as many beads in during a single beadmaking session.
I have that rack...

Quote:
Originally Posted by spixton View Post
I have one like Leslie but I'm starting to think I like my old method better. Before I would load the kiln and when it was full of beads I would move the ones that had been in the kiln for a time to the left and put each new bead on the right.

For me, beads only kiss when you first put it in the kiln, it is hotter then and can kiss one of the beads that is already in the kiln. So when you add a new bead, make sure it doesn't touch any of the other beads in the kiln. When it has been in the kiln for a time, say at least ten minutes, you can stack it on top of other beads.
...and also use that method. I have a Caldera kiln and can fit about 30 mandrels, probably more, I've just never had enough time to make more beads. I also use the holes in the bottom front of the rack to support mandrels. I use 12" mandrels and my hands don't get hot. My rack is centered in the kiln, not at the back, so the mandrels stick out a few inches and it's easy to rearrange beads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keewin View Post
I wear kevlar sleeves with thumb holes. I use 9" mandrels. Before getting the sleeves, it felt like my wrist area was being
cooked every time I opened the kiln. The kevlar helps.

This is what I use:
http://www.amazon.com/Mechanix-Wear-...kevlar+sleeves
These look great. They will come in handy. Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~

SRA Member #E20