View Single Post
Old 2011-08-12, 1:31pm

Ciao Ofilia, Susan and Marianne! I miss you guys!

I didn't see Marianne's leaf bead either - it's gorgeous. But I agree that the photo doesn't do the elephant justice. Lucio was proud.

I have a big grin on my face every time I think about my two weeks in Murano last May. It really was the trip of a lifetime for so many reasons. The class was amazing, the people were wonderful, and being able to get into the lifestyle and culture of Venice for that much time was a dream come true. And all the magical things that happen when you least expect it. Donna, if you think you want to do it, find a way to make it happen. That's what I did last year.

It is really nice that the costs of the apartment and the class are in US$. That makes you worry less about the rise and fall of the dollar.

Airfare - yes, keep a close eye on a daily basis on the fares. I was fortunate in that my DH travels frequently on business and has a ton of frequent flyer miles saved up, so I got to fly for the cost of the taxes. Remember to play with flying on various days - Wednesday seems to be a slow day, and wound up being the only days I was able to fly in and out between San Francisco and Venice. That wound up being a good thing for my trip - 3-1/2 days ahead of the class and 4 days after, so plenty of time to explore. I noticed the airfare was less midweek, so keep the days on either end open as you look.

US Airways was a great flight out of Venice - it was direct to Philadelphia, then on to San Francisco. It was a late morning flight as well so you were able to take the Alilaguna to the airport.

I ended up getting the Carta Venezia with the monthly pass even though I arrived on the 19th. With all the traveling around I did that worked out to be cheaper than either getting two one-week passes, or getting the card and getting a bunch of individual ride passes loaded onto it. And next time I go I only have to buy the monthly pass! Trust me - you'll be on the vaporetto frequently!

Cash - definitely allow a good amount for tools from Roberto Dona. And bring your basic wish list, which will change when you use some of the tools in class. For other things it depends on what you want to bring back and how restrained you are with your spending.

Utilize the ATMs to the maximum you can withdraw at a time - I found that I could withdraw 400 euro at a time for a $5 fee per withdrawl, so that minimized the overhead. Their ATMs are nice - when you get that much, it's divided into different denominations.

Suitcases - I got overzealous and found a wonderful 29" suitcase that was super light. Only problem is it was too easy to fill! With the airline's restrictions on baggage weight and numbers you have to maximize what you're allowed. Just before I left a friend told me about her experience with Alitalia who would only allow her to take 8 kg (yes, about 17 lbs) as her carry-on, and she ended up having to leave some stuff behind. Tragic! I found that Lufthansa (who I flew to Venice) had similar restrictions, and I did my best to get within their guidelines but knew I was a little bit over. As I waited to board the plane an attendant came over to me and asked to weigh my bag. My heart stopped... Fortunately, she just gave me a warning, but I knew I'd have my work cut out for me on the way home. Remember that checking an extra bag is considerably less expensive than paying for an overweight bag.

So, BRING A LUGGAGE SCALE! On the way home I managed to cram everything I bought into both my 29" suitcase and my 22" that I used as my carry-on on the way over, and were 49 lbs each. My new "carry-on" was a large shopping bag that contained all the ceramics I had bought in Nove on a day trip, along with my "personal bag" that contained everything else. And fortunately US Airways was a lot less restrictive on carry-ons.

Food - I am a foodie who hates paying a lot for restaurant meals, so I ate a lot of fresh fruits and vegetables and cold cuts from the Coop, and cooked them up myself with some pasta. However, the three restaurant meals I did have were wonderful! And the gelato, of course. Gotta have your daily dose(s).... And if you get out to the Zatterre, go to Gelateria Nico and have a giandutto (thanks, Emilio!)

One more thing - when you arrive in Venice, make sure you buy your Alilaguna ticket from the ticket counter outside Baggage Claim - do not buy from the automated machine. You only need a ticket that will take you to Murano, which costs a lot less than the regular ticket to Venice and the surrounding areas.

I can't wait to go back!!!

-Diane

My Facebook business page:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GTT Bobcat or Carlisle Lucio on an Integra 10
(and sometimes I pull out my HotHead!)