View Single Post
Old 2008-02-26, 6:28am
Safety ALWAYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by simvet02 View Post
What is the purpose of the didymium glasses? I have heard that the soda flare is only really with the boro glass. When I useed my hot head I didn't wear them. I use a full face plastic head piece because I wear reading glasses and couldn't keep the clear plastic ones on. Do I really need didymium if I'm not working ith boro?
Didymium glasses remove sodium flare. Sodium flare is not necessarily hazardous, but it is annoying and distracting. However, there are other issues with visible light that didymium does help with and you should be aware of. Read the following on my blog for more information: http://mikeaurelius.wordpress.com/20...e-glassworker/

You definately need more than didymium/ACE/AUR-92 for working boro -- this is something that not all instructors teach (to their shame, and your permanent eye damage).

Clear plastic lenses are not sufficient protection for working with hot glass of any kind.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Chaotic Glass: Safety for the glassworker, and random thoughts and opinions on the state of the glassworking world
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.