View Single Post
Old 2009-06-07, 8:45pm
Bigger, longer, and uncut

I've ordered some Devardi colors twice. The more recent shipment came last week. I really wanted to like this glass, but even as inexpensive as it is, it's too much of a pain in the neck for me to use.

It is very shocky. Insanely so. It doesn't seem to matter what the rod size is, skinny or fat--glass will go flying if you don't preheat. I can preheat rods by tucking them into my kiln under the bead door, but that takes too much time and planning.

Some of transparents I have tried are bubbly, but quite honestly I like that look. It reminds me of handblown Mexican glass.

It has to be worked in a cool flame to avoid devitrification. Given how huge the rods can be, they're of no use in making small beads. After feeding glass onto a mandrel from a really fat rod yesterday, said rod started to crackle as it cooled.

I like to make huge beads, but since the flame has to be so low, a good-sized bead takes forever to form.

If you are a good enough planner so that you can preheat the rods and can spend a lot of time forming beads, Devardi can't be beat for the price and the variety of colors. However, I won't be buying any more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.