View Single Post
Old 2012-02-14, 12:44pm
Noooobie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judy D. View Post
Trixx--I'm not using the inline fan since I came by the furnace blower at no cost, but the one you got looks right to me. Just to clarify fyi, the plenum is a box containing the blower, with the duct coming in one side and the fan blowing out the other side. Its function is to force the fan to pull air only from the duct by closing the fan off from surrounding air. That's all it does. I made mine mostly out of fomcore and it works great. So you don't need one because your in-duct fan is already only able to pull air from the duct it is installed in.

I still have to build the hood but then will be done. I'm going to try it with no intake at the work surface, just make-up air from the surrounding room--my larger shop is quite large, and there is a ceiling duct in the main shop I can open. So I'm hoping it will draw enough (outside) air from that opening that I won't lose heat too fast; and enough air from the rest of the room to effect adequate exhaust. Once I get it all set up I'll test and will post here to let you all know how it works out.

I'm thinking that the make-up air thing (as in, do you need it or don't you) is somewhat dependent on other variables, such as the size of the room you're in, the weather outside, the hood design and size, and how much air your system moves. That's just based on all the stuff I've read here from people with a more technical, numeric understanding than what I have, mind you. I do think that if knowledgeable people are not in agreement about it, that certainly means you have to carefully test whatever you do, and also that it may be these other variables are important in whether a given method works well or not. So...to perhaps save the trouble not so much of building air intake into the bench, but of enclosing the bead studio part of my space, I'm going to try it without first. If I don't get good enough draw, I'll start with a makeup air duct in the bench; if that's not enough, THEN will think about enclosing the bead studio.

So...report will come soon, I hope!

Judy
Judy you Rock girl!! I admire all the work you have put into this adventure. Your questions and the way you figure this out are perfect.... it all makes sense to me. I have to admit I was following you right on until you switched fans and then panic set int! lol Luckily they wonderful peeps here helped me out and now I am going forward. I'm really looking forward to you getting up and running too. We can follow each others progress!

Giant Valentine Day Hugs to everyone here helping!!

Pixx