View Single Post
Old 2013-10-19, 7:16pm
Nerwbie Glass Junkie

Thanx Bob!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth Beads View Post
The same way a striking glass strikes. If you get your reduced glass too hot again or expose it to an oxygenated flame, you will erase the reduction, aka restrike the glass.

You can let it cool and reduce it again if it isn't encased but you probably won't get as nice a reduction on the second go round.

It is the opposite of over-reducing the glass. Some glass tolerates a lot of reduction, some like the gentlest reduction and if you go past that, you will get a dull opaque cloudy result. You can erase/restrike the over-reduction. Take the bead back to transparent, cool and try gently reducing again.
Elizabeth that is interesting. Something I forgot to mention above, I often wave it though a reducing flame then turn the flame to oxidising, put the bead down near the candles for a second or two, then reduce again. Sometimes I do that 4 or 5 times, & you can see the colours change when the oxidising flame hits the glass. What I hadn't thought of was reheating the glass to restrike it, I never get my psyche to transparent but next time I will try over reducing & then heating it back up again to try erasing it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.