Thread: Nikon D-90
View Single Post
Old 2010-05-10, 1:23pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by delinquent beader View Post
I have a boat load of AF Nikkor lens which I hear will be compatible with a Nikon D-90.
Quote:
I have a 35-70 lens and a Nikon Teleconverter 2X - plus some other loose lens I vaguely remember throwing in front to gt even closer. I also have others but am not looking for distance.
Which is it? A boat load? Or one lens (and some bits that screw onto the front of the lens)? Which old SLR did you used to use? And, how old are these lenses?

Nikon has worked hard to make new products backwards compatible with old. Yes, just about any lens made in the last several decades "will work" on newer cameras. *But* ... many (most?) of the older lenses will only work *in manual mode*. This means: you won't get automatic exposure, auto focusing, or auto just-about-anything-else. If you are used to an old manual SLR, this won't be an issue. Just set your new digital to all manual, and pretend it's your old SLR.

As Diane mentioned, there are lot of ways of doing close-up photography: extension tubes, bellows, reversing the lens. These all work, but, (with only a few exceptions) all of these will mean that you're going to be working in manual mode. Your Teleconverter 2X will only work in manual mode on the D-90.

The D-90 is a great camera. It's the one I'd want if I were to upgrade today (something better will no doubt be out *when* I can justify getting a new camera). If you have a bunch of Nikon lenses, *and* you don't mind working in full manual mode, go for it. You can always get a newer lens too.

On the other hand, if all you want to do is to take pictures of your beads, there are probably less expensive routes you can take.

99% of the time, it's not the camera ... it's the photographer

Malcolm
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Email:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Phone:+1.408.288.7978