View Single Post
Old 2011-07-10, 6:14am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rareripes View Post
Kristina..I don't have the finger strength to slow it down easily..you push on a rubbery piece to slow it..I can and have used it for spacers but not for anything bigger.
However..thanks to you and Periwinkle ,I pulled out my Salmon today and came up with 5 beads! Too late to take pics tonight but I promise tomorrow I will take them and post.I know now what I was not doing...I was not keeping my rods in the preheater long enough.I started with 2 slimmer rods and 1 large thick rod.The first slim one I used had only been in the preheater for 15 min from the time I turned it on..I was able to get a couple wraps when it broke off about 1/4 inch but I kept it in the heat and just kept pushing the glass on.It broke the same way a few more times but stayed on the mandrel.Then I was able to melt it all and make my bead.The next slim rod worked perfectly as it was in the preheater much longer..to the point of looking light brown when i took it out.I got it into the hot flame quickly and had no breakage.I heard a tink in my rod warmer and was afraid of the ceramic cracking..although it has been fine in the past.A one and a half inch piece of the fat rod had broken off..whew..and when i used it..had no problems whatsoever.No flying chunks..nothing!They may not be the prettiest..but I conquered the Salmon!Yea!!Thanks for the encouragement Periwinkle and Kristina! Pics tomorrow!

Diana that's great! I have learned to leave my rods in long enough to thoroughly preheat too. Peach does turn brown. If a color is still shocky I pull thick stringers to work with and that takes it away. Can't wait to see your pics!